Levels – Bilby / Koala / Bandicoot
Endorsing the much raved-about Jolly Learning method in our programmes, KLC offers phonics classes in Serangoon for varying age groups – Junior/Advanced Tots (2-3 y/o), Bilby (3-4 y/o), Koala (4-5 y/o) and Bandicoot (5-6 y/o).
What makes us a good phonics class in Singapore? Take a look at the main highlights of our
- Full literacy programme with reading, writing, Jolly Phonics , Phonemic and phonological awareness, comprehension, literature, blending, spelling, and creative responses to students at young ages
- Development of fine & gross motor skills at young ages
- Focus on brain stimulation & eye muscles exercises starting at 3 years old
- Brain stimulation and eye muscles exercises
- Kidz Literacy Cove makes use of Jolly Phonics and is the only school in Singapore that has these unique rooms: “Bee room”, “Inky room” and “Snake room”. Allow your children to soak into our environment and this makes their learning more relevant.
- “Kindergarten phonics in Singapore” – Our kindergarten phonics refers to our Koala and Bandicoot classes and we are the only school in Singapore that makes use of Australian animals’ name.
Learning Outcomes for Bilby 3-4 years old
- Young children can start to enjoy literacy classes to help them develop.
- Fine motor control: placing sounds to pictures, simple jigsaw puzzles, pre-writing exercises, phonics colouring
- Eye muscle movements: including left to right, lazy 8s, catching balls, and tracking
- Gross motor exercise: Jumping, hopping, galloping, skipping, and balancing. It’s fun and is educational at the same time
- Brain stimulation exercises to increase concentration and retention, which will help children throughout their education
- Phonemic and phonological awareness level 1: good phonics class in Singapore to include alphabet, rhyming, Jolly Phonics sounds and songs, matching letters, pictures and keyword games
- Oral language: pronunciation exercises, use of puppets to initiate expressive speech, picture book discussions, and class narratives
- Literature: Listening, comprehending, and responding to stories at level 1, creative responses and thinking skills centered on books. Retelling of simple plots, acting out of stories using simple props.
Learning Outcomes for Koala 4-5 years old
Children not quite ready for primary school can get a jump on learning and literacy within Kidz Literacy Cove
- Fine motor control: learning to form letters and correct pencil holding
- Gross motor exercises using midline skills
- Brain Stimulation exercises for concentration and retention.
- Phonemic and phonological awareness level 2: phonics classes to include rhyming, Jolly Phonics sounds, consonant blends, word families, sight words, Jolly Phonics DVD, Jolly Jingles, alphabet (Alphabet Zoo), Jolly Phonics games level 1, Jolly Phonics Whiteboard Program stage 2, Jolly Phonics blending games, counting sounds exercises, decoding and choosing correct sentences for pictures. Jolly Phonics word lists (first half). Writing Dictation words – group 1
- Oral Language: pronunciation exercises, puppets to initiate expressive speech and characterisation, making up nonsense rhymes, restructuring nursery rhymes, Barrier games to encourage precise language and careful listening and telling news
- Literature: listening, comprehending, and responding to stories, creative responses and thinking skills centred on literature. Retelling of simple plots, acting out stories, discussing characters and motives, imagining different endings, encouraging flexible thinking skills through carefully worded questions designed to lead students to inferential thinking
- Picture talks with sentence writing
Learning Outcomes for Bandicoot section 5-6 years old
Primary-age children can gain a greater understanding of phonics.
- Fine Motor control: revise forming letters, correct pencil holding
- Gross Motor: Auditory memory games involving gross motor movements for better overall development
- Brain Stimulation exercises created to improve retention levels
- Phonemic and phonological awareness level 3: Focus on all Jolly Phonics sounds, consonant blends, extend knowledge of word families and sight words. Work with short and long vowels, syllables, use the Jolly Phonics Whiteboard Program stage 2, Jolly Phonics word lists, and dictation words for growing knowledge base
- Introduction to JOLLY DICTIONARY for kindergarten phonics
- Oral Language: pronunciation exercises, Jolly Jingles, Barrier games to encourage specific language and careful listening, telling of news
- Literature: listening, comprehending, and responding to stories at level 3, creative responses and thinking skills centered on literature. Discussing of settings, characters, retelling of simple plots, acting out stories using a simple reader’s theatre. Encourage divergent thinking skills through careful, open-ended questioning techniques
- Creative writing exercises to help children write interesting, cohesive sentences
Fees: $480 per term (8 lessons)